Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Social Media- Has it become too much?





I hate to say everyone, because not everyone has one. But most people nowadays have some form of social media that they participate in. Facebook, Myspace, etc. have made it quite easy to get our thoughts out for everyone to see. And in a way, that can be OK. Looking at pictures of your new baby niece has never been easier!


But, I think that with everything, there has come a bit of too much disclosure. You can log into Facebook now, and see who is unhappy with their spouse, or who's children are giving them what kind of trouble. Wives are bashing their husbands right out there for anyone they decide to add to their friend's list to see. I even have a family member on my Facebook page who decided to Facebook her way through a miscarriage! I wish I was joking about that, but it is horribly true. Things that used to be kept private, or only shared in confidence with a few special people, are now being broadcast to whoever logs in that day. 


As ladies, where have we went wrong?


Titus 2:5- [To be] discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.


We as a society have gotten so far from discretion, I don't think we have any idea what that is anymore.


According to Webster's : 



dis·creet

 adj \di-ˈskrēt\
1
: having or showing discernment or good judgment in conduct and especially in speech : prudentespecially : capable of preserving prudent silence
2
: unpretentiousmodest <the warmth and discreet elegance of a civilized home — Joseph Wechsberg>


Notice how it clearly says modest, and having good judgment in conduct, especially speech. Is it good judgment to tell everyone that your husband left his underthings on the floor that morning? Or it is good judgment to tell everyone that your husband did not kiss you goodbye that morning, so therefore he is a mean nasty oaf? I think not! When we have issues with our husbands, I think the first place we need to take those to is the Lord. 


1 Peter 5:7- Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.


Notice it says all cares. Not only ones that others would deem important. If it's important to you, it's important to God! Besides, I think God is far more equipped to handle our husband's behavior than our Facebook friends are. 


Really, when we post such things on a Facebook page, I feel we are just looking for some sort of sympathy. Look at me, my husband is so mean to me. Please feel sorry for me. 


That is, hopefully, not the attitude, nor outward demeanor that we want people to see in us. By showing others the love of God, and good discretion, we will arise far above our peers as Godly women. And a Godly woman is something we should all daily strive to be. 


No comments:

Post a Comment